SLT Laser for Glaucoma
What is SLT?
SLT (selective laser trabeculoplasty) is a highly effective laser therapy used for the treatment of glaucoma. This repeatable, non-invasive laser stimulates the natural drainage channels of the eye.
SLT can be used in the following situations:
- 1st line treatment for many types of glaucoma
- As an "extra therapy" if drops are not working well enough
- To replace glaucoma drops (in some cases)
SLT Laser Process
- If Dr. Lane feels SLT would help you, an appointment would be booked.
- If both eyes are done, they are booked 1 week apart.
- You will be given a prescription for eye drops: (to start immediately after the laser)
- Prednisolone 1% every 2hrs x 1 day, then 4x/day x 1week
- On the day of the SLT laser, Dr. Lane's assistants will put drops in your eyes which take 30mins to work, before the laser.
- The laser will be done (takes about 1 minute, and is painless)
- 30 mins after the laser Dr. Lane will check your intraocular pressure
- Dr. Lane will advise you about what to do with your glaucoma drops, and an appointment will be made for 6 weeks
Patient Information Video
- Pre-Op Instructions
- Post-Op Instructions
- Eye Disease Information
- Frequently Asked Questions